Monday, November 21, 2011

Do You Drink Your Lattes Slow Or Fast?



I read an article that apparently, the rate at which you sip or gulp your lattes can actually differ the way it impacts your teeth. I love my lattes and can't get by a day without a coffee fix, and pretty much love my pearlie whites just as much (or maybe even more) too. So, I was rather surprised to find out that 'latte nursing' may be contributing to an increase in adult tooth decay. Oh damn!  >_<


"'We found that the majority of the patients are spending many hours a day working at the computer and 'nursing' either lattes or coffee with milk," says [Seattle dentist Heidi] Hackett. "The constant exposure to the lactose or milk sugar is giving the bacteria in the mouth a flood of raw fuel or 'food' to metabolize.'"
According to Hackett, drinking your latte within 15 minutes is A-OK; sipping it all morning long is where your teeth get into trouble. But, she says, you can drink some water or chew sugarless gum to help neutralize the acids in your mouth.
I am the sort of coffee drinker who sips it all morning. So it looks like it's time to change my habits now, if I still want to keep my teeth. Especially since I have a huge fear of going to the dentist and having work done on my teeth!
So anyway, I thought that this was a good tidbit fact to get you all through the week. Have a great week ahead ladies! Remember, gulp! Don't sip!! :D

Love,
Jeneen
XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment